The Law Offices of Elaine E. Lukic
20 Years Experience
Former domestic violence & sex assault prosecutor
Free Consultation 24/7
Toll Free: 800-478-8859
Menu Contact
"The Highest Rate Of Acquittals and Dismissals" — Equal Justice Foundation

Did someone accuse you of disturbing the peace?

Many arrests have taken place simply due to misunderstanding. However, that does not make the situation any less serious or any easier to address. Police may bring charges against you, and even though you may not feel they fit the scenario that occurred, you still have to take them seriously and follow legal procedures for addressing them.

What you may have considered roughhousing or horseplay, another person may have considered disturbing the peace. As a result, your seemingly good time may have turned ugly when someone called the police, and you ended up under arrest. While your first instinct may be to explain yourself, it may work in your best interests to learn more about your predicament and gain the help of an attorney before speaking.

Did you disturb the peace?

Disturbing the peace often involves some violent element or one that otherwise causes a considerable disturbance, such as excessive noise. If you participated in any of the following actions, you likely did not disturb the peace or act in a disorderly manner:

  • Embarrassing another person
  • Accidentally bumping into someone
  • Participating in roughhousing or horseplay
  • Making obscene gestures, such as the middle finger
  • Acting in an annoying manner or in what someone else perceives as an annoying manner

Though someone may have taken offense to your actions or behaviors, it may not have constituted a criminal act.

Examples of disorderly conduct

Of course, some serious actions do fall into the category of disorderly conduct and can disturb the peace. Examples of these actions include the following:

  • Shouting in a manner that intends to get others to participate in a violence or act in an illegal manner
  • Allowing your dog to bark excessively in a neighborhood
  • Participating in a fight or trying to fight someone in a public area
  • Speaking offensively in efforts to cause someone else to have a violent reaction
  • Playing loud music at late hours and continuing to play it after a warning

Whatever action led to the accusation of disturbing the peace and your arrest, you still have the opportunity to defend against charges of disorderly conduct. Understanding the exact charges brought against you and your criminal defense options may help you address the situation you face. Because this type of predicament can be complex to handle, you may wish to enlist the help of a legal professional.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email us for a response

Palm Beach Gardens Office
Village Square Professional Park
800 Village Square Crossing
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410

Toll Free: 800-478-8859
Phone: 561-656-2024
Fax: 561-656-2041
Map & Directions

Lakewood Office
200 Union Blvd
Lakewood, CO 80228

Toll Free: 800-478-8859
Phone: 303-809-3425
Fax: 303-569-2233
Map & Directions

Frisco Office
307 Main Street
Frisco, CO 80443

Toll Free: 800-478-8859
Phone: 970-668-3222
Fax: 303-569-2233
Map & Directions